<$BlogRSDURL$>

Viewing the local antiquities

 
 
The leaf of the domain tree 


In choosing the "alacarte" as the leftmost component of my URL, I intended a reference to A.J. Liebling's bon mot: Life is best lived "a la carte."

Now, however, I read in P.G. Wodehouse's Ring for Jeeves:

Rory stopped kneading Bill's shoulder and patted it.

'At the moment,' he resumed, you are reeling from the shock, and very naturally, too. You feel you've lost something valuable, and I suppose one might say that you have, for Jill's a nice enough kid, no disputing that. But don't be too depressed about it. Look for the silver lining, whenever clouds appear in the blue, as I have frequently sung in my bath and you, I imagine, in yours. Don't forget you're back in circulation again. Personally, I think it's a slice of luck for you that all this happened. A bachelor's life is the only happy one, old man. When it comes to love, there's a lot to be said for the à la carte as opposed to the table d'hôte.'


Note
See also The original title. And I wish I could track down the source of the A.J. Liebling quotation.

{NA}



2 Comments:

If there were a category for BEST SEX BLOG on the weblog awards, I would nominate you. *kiss*

By Blogger Trishymouse, at November 22, 2004 8:01 PM  

Well, thank you. Maybe I can slip in under "Essays." Thanks for the link. Seems to me that little self-promotion is in order.

By Blogger John Psmyth, at November 23, 2004 3:13 PM  

Post a Comment

All characters and situations fictional. Copyright (c) 2003-2007 by "John Psmyth."
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours? Cunning Linguists Image hosted by Photobucket.com Blogarama - The Blog Directory Listed on BlogShares Listed on BlogsCanada

Where viewers come from:
Locations of visitors to this page
Auto-updated daily since 27-12-04

eXTReMe Tracker